Tuesday, August 28, 2007

ATWT: Jake Silbermann Interview


~Interview from AfterElton.com~
As the World Turns hit the airwaves over fifty years ago. In the time since, the show has had its share of TV firsts ... and it's about to have another. For the first time ever on a daytime drama, we're about to get a bona fide teen gay male couple. For some time now, we've watched as Luke Snyder come out to his friends and family. For a genre not known for its subtlety, his coming out journey has been surprisingly realistic and poignant. Luke wasn't the first gay male character on the show, but he has been the first to come from a central family and receive a significant story arc of his own.
A few weeks ago, the show added Jake Silbermann as Noah Mayer, an intern at the TV station at which Luke and his friend Maddie are working for the summer. Luke has been fighting his growing attraction to the seemingly straight Noah, especially as Noah started a romance with Maddie. But last week the boys did some sparking of their own when they ended up shirtless and in one another's arms. And now the kiss!

Here is some of the interview below, with the rest by following the link.

AE: So often when a show adds a gay character, that's the only gay character on the show. But ATWT already has Luke, played by Van Hansis. Did Van take you under his wing and tell you what to expect?
JS: Both Van and Alex [Alexandra Chando who plays Maddie Coleman], who I work with a lot, they've been at this longer than I have. Generally, you learn from the people around you, and yeah, absolutely, I've learned a whole lot from both of them.
AE: I assume you knew you were auditioning for a gay role? How did you feel about the prospect of playing a gay character?

JS: I was excited. It sounded like a really different role for daytime, which it is. I was really excited about that.

AE: Can you give us a hint about what's next for the two of them? JS: The story is really about to just pick up. After the kiss, it's really just beginning for them. I think there's a lot of great stuff on the horizon. I don't want to hint too much because part of the fun is not knowing.

No comments: